- Typical tenement in Gdansk for centuries was characterized by attentiveness to architectural detail and artistic decoration of the facade, regardless of the style and the period in which was created.
- In 1945, the vast majority of buildings in the Old Town of Gdansk was completely destroyed, leaving only ashes and a few elements of the surviving buildings.
- In the postwar period a study works began, in order to restore the form of damaged houses, based on the available historical materials.
- Reconstruction of Gdansk united in the spirit of modernism and traditional ideas of conservation. New tenements often allude to their predecessors only in a symbolic way.
- The Project of creating artistic decoration on the facades was intended bring beck former splendor to tenements, by connecting local tradition and modern art.