The largest and most representative historical district of Gdansk. Together with the Old Town, Old Suburb, Granary Island, Osiek, Lower City, Grodzisko and Long Gardens creates a surrounded by ramparts city-fortress.
The Main City began to develop rapidly since the slaughter of the people of Gdańsk in 1309 years taking a leading role from the hands of destroyed and depopulated Old Town, which borders to this day.
The privilege of Chelmno Law received at the time of the Teutonic Knights in 1349. At that time the main pattern of streets running parallel to each other and towards the river Motława was established. Motlawa embankment for many centuries was e port and the main source of wealth of Gdansk.
Main City like other districts was surrounded by a brick (partially preserved) medieval fortifications.
During World War II Main City and surrounding districts were completely destroyed as a result of the bombardment and raging fire which last for several weeks. After entering the town by Soviet troops and taking up the administration by the Polish authorities works to secure the remains has began, which were to protect still standing ruin. Thanks to the work of research, documenting and collecting and securing a number of architectonic details soon the reconstruction could start, which continues to present days.
Today Main Town is a district created from the scratch as a model functional district for workers. However instead of modernistic architecture it was inscribed into old urban fabric with previous spaces and urban interiors and with reconstruction of the facades in original or historic shapes. Majority of the public use buildings were reconstructed or renovated thanks to the fact that their wall were much stronger than ordinary and stand against the time of war in good shape.
Main old monuments of Main Town are St. Mary's Church, City Hall, Golden Gate, Green Gate, St. John Church, St. Nicholas Church, Brotherhood of St. George, Arthur's Court, Golden House, Armoury, Fountain of Neptune, and numerous preserved porches especially on St. Mary Street.